The use of data
Using data that is readily available from the audit clinical performance or other sources will help to zone in on identifying service gaps. Learn how to use data on progress of small tests of change and completing the feedback loop on patient experience outcomes.
On this page you can access training videos and downloadable resources to help you with using data to test, monitor and drive change to help implement your project interventions that was recorded for the previous training wave of EQIP in 2021-2022.
The use of data is important to measure and forecast the effectiveness and impact of your project interventions. It allows teams to measure there tests of change, make the required adjustments, assess the results and repeat the process until achieving the desired result. Teams are encouraged to put systems in place that allow regular review of their national and local audit data together to identify and monitor service gaps or below standard levels of care.
During this programme your team will learn:
- Why time is important for measurement
- Using clinical audit data to affect change and sustain QI
- The importance of displaying data over time
- Data reliability
- Tools for detecting change
Within your team decide:
- Who will collect the data?
- What sampling method should we employ?
- When and where should we collect the data?
- How will we do it?
Measuring for improvement: Using data to drive change training session
Dr Pat O’Connor, QI trainer, CEO QI Discovery Mirek Skrypak, Associate Director of Quality and development, HQIP focuses on providing examples of collating and presenting data and open discussions with the teams regarding their knowledge and status on the following areas
- Do we know how good we are?
- Do we know where we stand relative to the best?
- Over time, where are the gaps in our practice that indicate a need for change (i.e. improvement)?
- In our efforts to improve, what’s working ?
- Do we know/understand where variation exists in our organisation?
- RCPCH EQIP Measuring for improvement: Using data to drive change slides
RCPCH EQIP Using data to drive change training session part 1. Dr Pat O’Connor, QI trainer, CEO QI Discovery Mirek Skrypak, Associate Director of Quality and development, HQIP
Q&A discussion: RCPCH EQIP Using data to drive change, Team discussion part 2 (video, ) Dr Pat O’Connor, QI trainer, CEO QI Discovery Mirek Skrypak, Associate Director of Quality and development, HQIP
National audit data and improvement
Pat O’Connor and Mirek Skrypak explore measuring change in quality improvement using data, including how to make measurement meaningful for your project, selecting measures, collecting data and the difference in presenting data versus stories.